Thursday, August 3, 2017

Friendship

Image result for friendship
How do we find true friends? What are your friendships like? Have they changed over time? mine have.

When I was younger, I thought your best friend was someone who you knew the longest. Someone you've known since birth and because you both shared life's earliest memories, it meant they would be in your life forever. I thought that if you shared identical interests, you were meant to be best friends. Oh how times have changed since those days.

I had one friend who I grew up with. She was my best friend, someone who always made me laugh until I cried. We shared the same music interests and hobbies. We would hangout almost every day and our families were close. We shared memories of growing up and figuring out puberty. It was an incredibly awkward time, but it was nice to have someone going through all the same things, I could always trust her and lean on her.
Although as we hit our early teens, things changed. Honestly we grew apart, and it was the first time I truly felt sad. It hit me hard but I knew our friendship just wouldn't work out. She wasn't the friend I needed, and being the young naive me that I was, I trusted anyone and everyone. It was the first lesson I learned that sometimes when you give, you don't always receive.

As I grew older and went into my college years I partied an awful lot. I gained so many friends and it was incredibly fun while it lasted. I'd get out of class by four, eat dinner by six, and party until dawn. But after a while it got old for me, I wouldn't want to drink all the time. Suddenly my friends started to dwindle. Then when summer came around and I traveled back home, very few friends texted me. It suddenly dawned on me that some people will build friendships based on convenience. I wasn't a couple doors down anymore, and because of this some people made the decision that the friendship wasn't worth the effort. But that's not to throw shade at anyone, people decide who they feel the strongest connections with and will decide upon that who they will continue to be friends with no matter the distance, or other obstacles that may happen.

in my personal opinion, friendship is about give and take. But it's also about having a strong connection with someone.

When I came back to school a year later, I found a friend who I had known for years but hadn't really gotten close to. As our friendship grew I saw just how much she cared for me, and went out of her way to help me with anything I needed. We just got each other and had similar mindsets. We grew so close over just one semester and I just felt like I had known her my whole life. We went through a lot together and I didn't give up on her, it was a friendship that was all about building each other up and just spreading positive vibes. I realized my idea of friendship has changed since I was little. It's not about sharing the same identical interests or knowing someone the longest, it's about being there for each other. Through this crazy life we need someone on our team, someone to build us up and take care of us when we're down. True friendship is rare and when you find it, hold onto it with everything you have. Call them to catch up, send them a text and show how much you care. Never take someones friendship for granted, always wake up thankful for what you have every day.

I am beyond thankful for the group of friends I have, I feel like I finally have a group of confidence, caring, intelligent, beautiful girls and it took me a while to get here. But I'm so happy for the friends I now have.

Have a great Thursday! until next time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment